Knowledge is Power!

Wednesday 21 August 2013

The Necklace by Caitlin Naylor

“Are you sure we’re going the right way?”
“Of course we are. Just follow me.”
“But I can barely see you!”
Let me set the scene for you. So, we’re walking- actually, more like creeping- down a narrow alleyway and there’s a stench like 30 different kinds of animals have farted, and my acquaintance and I are both wearing black. I can’t see a thing, and its pitch black at 10pm.
So I guess you’re wondering what we’re doing, huh. Like most spies, we are trying to find a 10-carat gold necklace with about, hmm, maybe 20-carats of diamonds on it. We lost it during a training session and we have to get it back or we’re suspended from the group for 2 months.
I’ve stepped on something that’s cracked. Whew, it’s just a leaf.
“Watch where you’re going, rookie!”
Yep, she just has to call me that, doesn’t she. I’ve only been in the group for a month and she knows that I don’t know every rule and trick in the book yet.
“Hurry up, don’t slow down! We have to find it before daylight breaks!”
“I know, blah blah blah,” I muttered under my breath.
“I heard that,” said my acquaintance sternly.
She pulls out her torch quickly and points it to something shimmering on the ground. “Aha! We found it!”
“More like you found it. Anyways, why did we have to do this at night? It wasn’t that hard to find.”
“If we did it at day time, people would see us. And actually, it was very hard to find. It’s pitch black!”
“That’s why we could’ve done it at daytime!” I argued.
“Call HQ. Tell them we found it. Then we can argue.”
I was feeling a bit happier now. “Okay! I’ll get to it.”
 
“Hello? Yes, it’s me. I was calling to say... we found it!”


No comments:

Post a Comment